What I'm Watching Now...Vida & Sweet Bitter

Images credited to IMDB

Has anyone noticed the same movies are on Hulu & Amazon Prime?

They both have their unique originals but the hopes of more extensive variety has been inadvertently squashed. Luckily Optimum won the Starz battle and saved Outlander and *fingers crossed* American Gods figures out what the fuck they're doing. While I'm waiting for Jamie & Claire to come back I've been riveted to the new 2 shows Starz has added to Sunday night.

The first show is called Vida.

It centers around 2 Mexican-American sisters who have to return home to East Los Angeles after their mother passes away. I was immediately drawn to show because there aren't a lot of shows centralized around Hispanic people, especially two Latina women who aren't on screen to make you laugh. This show is no laughing matter. The first 2 episodes have aired and it's hooked me into the plot twists and amazing characters who are so different. The two sisters are complete opposites and find themselves having to turn to each other & leave their daily lives in the aftermath of their mother's death. My favorite sister is Emma. So far she is one badass bitch. I can't wait to find out why.

 There are only 6 episodes. I'm very eager to see how the sisters save their mother's bar and if they can find it in themselves to come home where they belong.

And there's flan. I love flan. My grandmother, who was born in the Dominican Republic, loved flan.  The show makes me miss her terribly. I regret not learning more Spanish from her. It's a part of my heritage I definitely need to strengthen.

 Vida

The second show is Sweet Bitter.

I'll admit it. I took this book out a few years ago from the library and unfortunately I never read it and returned it when the time was up. I was intrigued by the back cover summary of a girl moving to New York city and pursing a job in the restaurant business. It's right up my alley. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies - No Reservations - with Catherine Zeta Jones & Abigail Breslin. Sweet Bitter, the TV Show is completely different.

I've lived 30 minutes outside of New York City my entire life. It is a place where dreams can be made and broken just as fast. Bottom line though, New York City is hard work. There is no coasting through the $15 dollar toll without a care in the world. It's tough, but I often I find TV Shows create NYC to only be this harsh wasteland of jadedness and bullies. It's disheartening. There is so much more.

I've personally never worked in a restaurant so I'm enjoying watching the main character stumble through learning the ropes. She is surrounded by jadedness & bitchy wait staff. It makes me feel for the main character, Tess. I've been there, struggling, anxious, nervous of doing the wrong thing. But you have to learn from your mistakes and as the character Simone (I can't figure out if I like her or not) states, it makes you who your meant to be. Tess has gotten moments of kindness in each episode which gives me hope of some growing progress of the character. If she gets chewed up and spit out in the end of season 1 and goes back home I'm going to be pissed.



I also have been devouring Season 2 of Handmaiden's Tale. I can't get enough of that show! That show deserves an entire post at a later date.

What have you been watching?

Find me on Bloglovin

1 comment

  1. I read Sweet Bitter before I realized they were making it into a show and I do think it makes a better show than book so I'll be watching it! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete