Writing A Novel Hurdle #3 - Finding The Time To Write


Hi Everyone! Happy Monday or Hurry Up and get here Tuesday so Monday can be over!

I've been thoroughly enjoying this little series I've started "Writing a Novel Hurdles". In no way am I trying to re-invent the wheel or even become a copycat because there are much more qualified published authors who give amazing advice to help you on your journey. My intentions are to share with you the tips and missteps I'm learning as I go along listening to our people's tried and true formulas. 

Writing A Novel Hurdle #3:
Finding the Time to Write...

Winona Ryder in Little Women (1994 Movie)
Have you ever had a dentist appointment first thing Monday morning and it offsets your entire day? You probably have and note to self don't make Monday morning dentist's appointments again! But it gave me an excuse to take a personal day this morning and sneak in a little writing at the diner during breakfast and at Barnes & Noble.  Emphasis on the "sneaking in writing."

Over the weekend a friend asked me...
"When Did You Ever Have Time To Write?" 

This is seriously the most common question I get after I tell people I wrote a book.

Same question applies to blogging. When I tell people I have a blog, their eyes widen for a moment, and ask me "When Do You Do That too?". To my surprise I find myself hesitating for the right answer to explain the madness. 

There is no simple answer to any of this. Today I wrote at the diner and then the bookstore. Some days I only get to jot down a sentence or two. Other days the scene is flowing and I'm in the groove. Then there is the days where the ideas are swimming around in my head struggling to become a tangible scene.

No two writing days are the same for me and I think this is why I'm struggling.


 
I did write the majority of my book in a notebook watching my husband play in the open mic nights at the local brewery - the picture from above. Three hours a week of brewery craziness and people watching to get myself in the mindset of explaining other people's actions. It's almost like an ethnography. I'm watching people for their reactions, mannerisms, and casual dialogue. 

For me, it worked and I cranked out 310 pages in a year. I don't know if that's long or short, but it's an accomplishment no one can take away from me. 

Blogposts are a little different for me. Most of the times I have a couple draft posts - this one was a draft started last week - and then rework them after I thought about it some more. But I promised myself that this time around for blogging if the idea isn't coming I'm not going to push it. 

Writing the next novel will be a completely different experience. I have to chisel out more time. Take the advice of the pros...outline...set a schedule...tell people no I'm busy within reason of course. If I want this side career to happen I have to stick to my guns. This is the furthest I've ever come with this dream. It's too late to stop now!
How Do You Find Time To Write or Blog?

Scene from Little Women Movie

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram
Please visit my Weekly Link Up page for the awesome bloggers I'm linking up with today!

P.S. 
I just loved Little Women as a kid. It was such a good movie and I think my VHS copy has long since disappeared. I definitely need to update my DVD library with this forgotten gem!

2 comments

  1. Yes, this!
    I've never attempted to write a book but I definitely struggle to find the time to write blog posts.
    Great tips to carry a notebook and to establish a writing schedule.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am writing a book now and it would be so nice to just schedule in 2 hours a day to work on it! But I homeschool my kids, volunteer at a number of places, and need to sleep! So it comes as I find time. Hoping to put some more structure around it this summer and see if I actually like it better!

    ReplyDelete