My Writing Journey #3: Ten Ways to Find Inspiration Everywhere!

Created using Canva

Day #2 Blogtober coming at you! 

One of the greatest feelings in the world is being inspired to do something. Whether that inspiration leads you to blogging, writing, traveling, or a new adventure, it doesn't matter, the important part is that it made you feel and make that change or volunteer as tribute sorta speak. I'm lucky to say I am surrounded by a great support system of family and friends whom inspire me daily.

Keeping with my Tuesday theme documenting my writing journey, I try to find inspiration for my writing projects everywhere. I know, can I make it a little more specific? I can and I can't. Simply put, keep your eyes open, ears listening and bring a notepad and pen wherever you go. If you can't fit a notebook anywhere, notepad apps on your phone work best too! Trust me, the inspiration is out there, you just have to uncover it!

Ten Ways To Find Inspiration Everywhere

1. Blogging

~ Bloggers are the kings and queens of inspiration! Every blogger is different and it is one of my main go-to's for inspiration. ~

2. Listen to Your Friend's Rants

~ Then make sure you change the names to protect the innocent and guilty. All kidding aside, your friend's battles and stories of "You will never believe this happened" can be great inspiration for subplots and interpreting natural reactions. ~'

 
3. Seeing What Already Exists

I feel like Tim Burton one day must have said to himself that there aren't enough "Weird & Odd" movies out there and made it his personal pilgrimage to change it. I think it was James Wan, known for Insidious, wrote every overused trope on a whiteboard for horror, setting himself up to stay clear away from them. Therefore, make this work for you. If you write Sci-Fi, watch and read Sc-Fi, so you're inspired to write something new. ~ 

4. People Watch

~ People do crazy things when they don't know they're being watched. In high school I did an Ethnography report on watching a carousel for an hour. It was so interesting that I got an A. Children, adults, elderly, couples on a date, teenagers, and many others rode that carousel to my surprise. You never know what you're going to experience. ~

5. Pinterest

~ Alexa Donne, YA Fantasy writer mentioned in one of her Youtube videos that she creates Pinterest boards for her writing projects. I love Pinterest and never thought to do this for my romance novels. I'm keeping Book #2 board secret for now, but it's helping me start brainstorming the characters and settings! ~

6. Go to a Wedding

~ The saying is Something Old, Something Borrowed, & Something New. Well wedding guests are like that too. Something Drunk, Something Weepy, & Something Crazy. Human emotion is always present at weddings, whether it be anger, sadness, happiness...at any point at the wedding people watching is imperative. ~

7. Join a Writers' Group

~ At this point in my writing career I don't have a lot of friends on the same journey. Luckily, the pastor who performed my wedding ceremony husband runs a Writer's group in my mother-in-law's Church. This is a new source of inspiration for me and I hope to continue along the weeks that I can go! ~ 

8. Subscribe to Author's Youtube Channels

~ As I've mentioned before I've been listening to Author Youtube videos and then subscribing to their channels for weekly inspiration. It has helped me in so many ways! I get super excited when I see the little red dot letting me know there are new videos to watch from my faves! ~

9. Ask for Help!

~ My husband helped me so much with my first novel and he barely realizes it. I asked for help on his band dramas and excitements and a lot of his comments wound up in my first manuscript. His outpouring of support also was very inspiring to finish the damn thing. lol. ~

10. Live Your Life - Inspire Yourself.

~ Something happened to me at a wedding a few years ago and it sparked an idea for my first manuscript. Finding an old photo in my grandmother's house made me ask questions and I have an idea for a new series I have to write one day. Living your dreams, saying yes to adventure, and doing one thing different a day can do wonders for your inspiration! Live your life and then write about it! ~ =)

I hope you enjoyed my list on ways to find inspiration! These ten ways can apply to blogging and writing, but also to other things. Keep being inspired and let the inspiration in! 

How Do You Find Inspiration?



Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram
Please visit my Weekly Link Up page for the awesome bloggers I'm linking up with today!

3 comments

  1. I love this post, Melanie! Inspiration really is all around us if we just look. Thank you so much for sharing these great ideas with the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Pinning and sharing. I hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often get inspiration for blog topics from daytime television and social media #alittlebitofeverything@_katendennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, Melanie! I just wanted to let you know that I’m featuring this post at the Hearth and Soul Link Party this week. Hope to ‘see’ you there! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete