Movie Night: Lady Bird & Other Coming of Age Movies


All I can say is Wow. This is a great movie and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

It's been a long while since I've seen a movie that spoke to me so clearly and tugged at memories I hadn't revisited in years. 

For me, this was a coming of age movie I wish 17 year old me could see, but thankfully I'm 32 year old me and I just want to write Greta Gerwig letter after letter say Thank You for making this movie over and over again. I can't relate to every part of it, but fuck, 90% of it I stopped what I was doing and remembered what it was like being a senior in high school in 2003. Even watching Laurie Metcalf struggle as a mother to support her family made me call up my mom and thank her for everything she's done to help me be where I am today.

P.S. This movie is not about Lady Bird Johnson. =P

Lady Bird is available on Amazon Prime Video. I want to watch it again to see what I missed. I remember trying out for the school play, I remember the first bad boy and the lies that followed, I remember going to Catholic school as a kid, and I remember talking over and over to my best friend about everything under the sun.

Coming of Age movies have changed so much over the years. The most recent ones that come to my mind are  Perks of Being a Wallflower and probably the Hunger Games. 

 

But there are so many more that have completely gotten lost with time. My blog post yesterday reminded me of the movie "Little Women" and yup I do not own it on DVD at all. It opened the door for so many movies I've miss that don't get the TV play they once did and you can't even find them on Netflix.

 
Little Women (1994)
Mermaids (1990)


My Girl (1991)
Now & Then (1995)
(I completely forgot about this movie until last week) 


Clueless (1995)
Mean Girls (2004)


Sixteen Candles (1984)
The Craft (1996) 

I had to add The Craft. I'll never forget attempting "Light as a Feather - Stiff as a board" in middle school. lol. 

Above are some of my favorite coming of age movies...

I also asked Craig, my husband, aka Dill what were some of his and Damn he offered some great ones! 


Can't Hardly Wait (1998)
Empire Records (1995)

 

The Sandlot (1993)
Rookie of the Year (1993)

 

Superbad (2007)
Dazed & Confused (1993)

What's Your Favorite Coming of Age Movie?


Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram
Please visit my Weekly Link Up page for the awesome bloggers I'm linking up with today!

4 comments

  1. Love these types of movies even though I am many years past coming of age.

    Glad you said Lady Bird wasn’t about Lady Bird Johnson. I just assumed it was!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Woman is still my all time fav! I live about 45 minutes from Concord Mass. It is lovely! #bloggercubUK
    Tracy @ www.viewfromthebeachchair.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mean girls is timeless! Great post, I’ll have to give Ladybird a watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I love this so much! I'll definitely have to watch that this week! (I just recently watched one called LOL that I thought was going to be horrible but was super cute - Demi Moore and Miley Cyrus)

    ReplyDelete