New York City Book Con 2018 Recap!


I came, I saw, I conquered Book Con 2018! Woohoo! 

This weekend Saturday and Sunday I went to Book Con 2018 at the NYC Javit's Center. I have to start out by saying once you've gone to a New York City Comic Con almost every other convention is a walk in the park. I went into this weekend with absolutely no expectations because I've never been and it was so much fun and rewarding that I can't wait to go again next year. 



Before the weekend I did have to sign up for the autographs a few weeks in advance.  So worth it. There is so much organization for the official autographs it was easy and painless and I got even got photos! I talked to everyone in line before me and behind me meeting tons of new people. I even stumbled upon some things I didn't know would be there that weren't in the programs that made me super happy. 

Within a few minutes of being let into the convention area I wound up in line to get a FREE copy of "Girl Wash Your Face" by Rachel Hollis at the Harper Collins Booth AND she personalized it to me!


I've seen this book pretty much everywhere. I can't wait to sit down and read it! 

I'll admit it...I didn't know what Owl Crate was, but everyone else in the convention knew. The line never ceased to wrap around a majority of the row. I found out it's a Young Adult box subscription service where you recieve a new YA novel with book like items. Cool concept but I passed. 

Luckily I did pass on the line because I wandered around to the Simon & Schuster part of the row where one of the authors I came to meet Mary H.K. Choi was standing right in front of me waiting for an impromptu Meet & Greet! It was definitely NOT on any program and I ran to the back of the line super fast. 

 Me & Mary H.K. Choi - author of Emergency Contact

I just love meeting authors who are so down to earth and happy to meet their fans. I seriously could have talked to her for hours. She's super chill and I can't wait to know what happens next to the most realistic characters I've read. Later on I attended a romance panel where she spoke about how relating to the characters is one of the most important parts of her books and seriously yes!

Also I really need to learn how to not tilt my head like a crazy person in photos! lol.

 There were even two NYC publishing houses looking for open submissions without agents for all genres and I put my information down along with my 3 line book pitch. *Fingers Crossed* I went around taking pictures of NY publishers signs so I can hopefully send my novel too once I have my edit done.


 Some publishers had free books stacks, others had a chance for the authors to autograph the copies, and newly released books for way below market price. I bought the two Roni Loren novels for only $5 bucks each from SourceBooks. I didn't know SourceBooks even existed and I will definitely be checking out their submission guidelines. 

The only thing I did wrong or didn't read the fine print was bringing my own copies to the autograph ticketed times. I had to buy another copy of the books - Emergency Contact & All Of It Is You - but I still lucked out becuase both Mary H.K. Choi and Nico Tortorella signed both copies for me. One with personalization and one without. 

In my unscripted travels around the convention, which after a few hours I sort of got on lines to get books to drag out the time because overall the convention isn't very big, I spotted that Nico Tortorella, aka Josh from the TV Show Younger was doing a panel before his signing. 

Oh yes, I went, and oh yes he's awesome! 


I've been trying to drag out reading his poetry book by picking one of two every other day. They're weird, insightful, and sometimes exactly what you need to read to put a smile on your face or get the gears in your brain turning around and around. Again, another author/celebrity who is super chill, incredibly nice, and when he's telling the audience to "Love Yourself" it really made me smile. 

Oh and some of his tattoos are real! It's not just the character Josh on the show! =)


He's so darn cute! Ahh! 

I cannot wait until Season 5 of Younger on Tuesday!! Ahh!! Personally I think Liza should end up with Charles but I'm always going to be #TeamJosh. 

Book Con was so refreshing and so much fun. I promised myself this year to remember to do things that I want to do that make me happy regardless of what people think and going to this event was right up my alley. There were some men but primarily the event was all women who loved that part and that scene just as much as you do and the camaraderie made me feel so good!

I will have to keep my eye out for more book conventions and I'm definitely bringing a bigger backpack next year!! =)

Have You Ever Gone to a Book Convention?

Follow me on Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

Please visit my Weekly Link Up page for the awesome bloggers I'm linking up with today!

6 comments

  1. Oh man, Younger is one of my favorite shows...so excited for the premier! xo, Biana- BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to a book convention, but I have a feeling I would love it! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat you could sign up in advance for autographs and it made it easy!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a big convention, and it's always fun to meet a favourite author. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to a book convention, but having read your post I would love to go! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really enjoyed reading about it. I hope that your pitch is well received and that you have good news very soon. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party.

    ReplyDelete